So you’ve chosen to have an island wedding! Fantastic! It’s no surprise that so many couples choose to have this special occasion on an island. Why wouldn’t you choose a location surrounded by all of the beautiful colors, scents and landscapes that nature has to offer? Keep the following tips in mind when wedding planning your exotically exquisite island affair.
Since most or all of your wedding party and guests will have to travel to your island wedding destination, make sure to send out the invites up to one year prior to the date. This will give your guests the opportunity to find reasonable airfare, and ample time to request time off work. Time is of the essence if you or your guests need to update passports and/or schedule vaccinations.
Exotic Attire, Beauty, & Accessories
Keep the climate in mind when choosing your wedding wardrobe.
- Choose a wedding gown that's strapless and lightweight.
- Consider flip-flops for the bridesmaids and groomsmen.
- Opt for linen pants and shirts that breath for groomsmen instead of suits or tuxes.
- Design bouquets made of exotic flowers that are indigenous to the area.
- Stay away from heavy jewelry that will weigh you down.
- Keep hair and makeup low-key by staying away from heavy foundation and blush. Request that your bridesmaids where their hair down with a loose curl.
Every island offers a unique mixture of cultures. For example, the cuisine of Hawaii is a fusion of numerous cuisines brought by multiethnic immigrants particularly of American, Filipino, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Polynesian and Portuguese origins. Give your guests the full-island experience by providing insatiable dishes created by the people who inhabit the area.
Instead of offering a post-wedding brunch, plan a morning-after excursion with your wedding party and guests. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Surf lessons
- Scuba diving
- Whale watching
- Keep this list handy when packing and prepping before take off.
- Ensure you and your guests all have current travel visas.
- Consider buying travel insurance to make sure all your basis are covered.
- Pack a mixture of credit and debit cards, travelers' checks and old-fashioned bank notes.
- Pack plenty of sun block!
- Pack bathing suits and clothing appropriate for the climate.
Stay a While
Since you’re already going to an ideal vacation spot why not stay a while? Suggest to your family and friends that they join you and your soon-to-be husband on your honeymoon and extend the celebration. You also might consider staying a few days after your guests depart to ensure you have some romantic one-on-one time with that gorgeous husband of yours!
Top Island Wedding Planning Destinations
- French Polynesia
- Koh Samui
- St. Lucia
- Greek Islands
Check Out Planning a Beach-Themed Wedding
Check Out Beach Wedding Attire
Check Out the Top 10 Honeymoon Destinations